Being in the World but not of the World

 Being in the World but not of the World 



I truly feel I have been blessed with the best family anyone could ever ask for. With that being said I hope through me you will not only see the pure joy and love my family has had on me but the impact families have on people all over the world. 


You may wonder, are families really that important? You may ask, is paying five hundred extra dollars a year in taxes just because you are married really worth it? The answer is yes, it is definitely worth it! The joy that can come from families is irreplaceable. 


The Family Proclamation To The World states that “All human beings male and female are created in the image of God. Each is a beloved Spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine nature and eternal destiny.”  


Growing up with this knowledge allowed me to have a great sense of worth as I knew who I was and what my destiny could be. 


Now you might be wondering if there is any other purpose to having a family besides the joy it can bring? The answer is still yes there is! 


Multiple different statistics show that kids who grow up with both a father and mother in the home are less likely to be depressed, do drugs or have a criminal record. 


Doctrine and Covenants 93: 40 states “ But I have commanded you to bring up your children in the light and truth” 


Mosiah 4:15 says “But ye will teach them to walk in the ways of truth and soberness ye will teach them to love one another, and to serve one another.” 


As these scriptures said we have been commanded by God to have families and raise them up in the truth and light. Many times this goes against what the world views. However, it is our duty. 


“For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. “And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth forever.” (1 Jn. 2:15–17.


My parents would always refer to that scripture and tell  me to “be in the world but not of the world.” I have stood by this saying up to this point and I will continue to for the rest of my life. For some this saying might be confusing but growing up in a world where many of the people around me didn’t see the importance of families, this made this saying make perfect sense to me. This reference states that although we live in the world we don’t have to be like others. We can be different and stand out for the good despite what others might be going around us. 


Palms 127: 3-5  Says "children are a heritage from the Lord, offspring a reward from him."


John 1:4 Says, "I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth."


Just as it says in these scriptures in the bible there is no greater joy you can have than children. We have been called by God to lovingly raise children in truth. Families are one of God's greatest blessings to us. 


If you are worried about how you are supposed to raise a family in a world that is described in Isaiah 5: 20  as “Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and put light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!” don’t worry God will help you. 


In Ephesians 4:2-3 he gives counsel on how to raise your children he says, "Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace." 


By getting married and having a family you will not only bless your children they will also bless you! I am not saying that this is always the case but my humble prayer is that everyone will have the opportunity to experience the everlasting joy a family can bring.   


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Working Within and Outside of the Family

Roles Within a Family